Genealogists vs. the historians

Texas history. Genealogy. Goins, Goyens, Goings, Harmon, Petty, Sinclair, Jackson, Stark, Mize, Gibson, Simmons, Cofer, Haddock, Hooker, Jordan, Murchison, Talbot/Talbert, Melungeon, Lumbee, Croatan, Redbone, Brass Ankles, Black Ankle, Native American heritage.

Monday, June 25, 2007

So Many Trails, So Little Time


"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey work of the stars, And the pismire is equally perfect, and a grain of sand, and the egg of the wren, And the tree-toad is a chef-d'oeuvre for the highest, And the running blackberry would adorn the parlors of heaven . . . " Song of Myself --Walt Whitman
While meandering along a wilderness trail in the Great Smoky Mountains, I came upon a stone chimney, jutting out of the green forest. Someone once lived there among the trees with the cool, clear creek not far beyond.
How very beautiful these woods are. There is a peacefulness that touches me to the soul. The people who lived here experienced their own trials and tribulations, but the forest also provided lessons of grace, wisdom and common sense.
My father tells me stories of the woods. When I was but a child, he would led me through the trails, winding carefully through the pine trees. He reminded me to walk softly and try not to make disturbances. He also reminded me to listen carefully, for there are things human ears can miss when our minds are not on the path.
I think one of the most important things I learned about the trails, is to watch for animal droppings. A bear can leave a most unpleasant sign, but it was easy to see and even easier to avoid. So just recently I thought, "If a bear craps in the woods, do we HAVE to step in it?" There are some people crapping in the Redbone woods right now. I think it's best to sidestep their mess and keep ourselves clean. There are so many trails that need to be explored and such precious little time to accomplish them all. But that is just one lesson from the woods that has been passed down from father to daughter. It is an important lesson, however and it serves me well whether I am hiking a trail in the wilderness or rushing to work in the big city.
I bought new hiking boots a month ago. They have thick soles and built in support for my ankles and the arch of my feet. I'm prepared to press on, no matter how long the journey may be.

No comments: